We often get tax clients come in wanting to claim the expense of a work-related uniform. Provided you are an employee, the government already provides a deduction for this. The official title of this non-refundable tax credit is the Canadian Employment amount.

This credit is claimable by every employee, whether they have work related expenses or not. This tax deduction provides recognition for expenses, such as home computers, uniforms and supplies in the private or public sector.

Trades people are allowed an additional deduction of up to $500 for tools purchased in the year, provided it is in excess of the Canadian Employment deduction.

Canadian Employment Amount